A Happy New Year! May 2015 smile on you and yours.
Orkestra Marhaba has a new website! Neyzen, singer, and queen of usul Shanteri did a wonderful job putting it together. She included all sorts of great info on the tradition and its instruments: www.orkestramarhaba.com.
Ameranouche is playing 3 sets at New Year’s By the Bay in Belfast, ME. We start around 9 PM and will ring in the New Year. The ‘Nouche is also in the mixing/mastering/packaging stages of our new record due out in April.
My friend John Hughes has a new record out! Check it out here: Solo Kora Live from the Streets.
My teacher W. A. Mathieu is constantly releasing new works and recordings: Cold Mountain Music.
I’m glad to have reconnected with saxophonist Joel Press. What a treat to have him back in Boston!
Besides some holiday gigs and other work, I’ve been so thankful to have had some time for composition. I hope to bring a batch to the vibration of day in this New Year.
It has been a while. Many sounds have come and gone. Among other things:
Some ongoing updates are happening to the website. You’ll notice some new pieces in the “music/words” section. One is an essay on the student-teacher relationship. The other is an outline for a workshop I hope to start leading in the next months on developing a polymetric sense of time.
Ameranouche is almost done with tracking for our new record. We feel we’ve captured something very special. Lot’s of gigs as well! Stay updated here: www.ameranouche.com
I’m fresh off a trip to Istanbul. Many sounds heard. They will take some time to understand and integrate. Some will remain ineffable. I feel inspired. Looking forward to playing with Orkestra Marhaba in and around the Boston area and continuing to study the repertoire. Keep up with OM here: www.facebook.com/OrkestraMarhaba
I am living in Penngrove, CA through the new year! I am excited to be studying in person with my teacher W. A. Mathieu. I will also have time to compose, record, casually check out the Bay Area music scene, and get some mountain time in the Sierras and Cascades. You may find me back on the east coast for some gigs here and there (I’m still available to gig, record, or compose under the right circumstances). Besides that I’ll be back in New England come the cold and snowy months!
If you’re interested in the more song based things I do, I’ll periodically update the Harrist Family Band site with demos created here in Sonoma county.
Here’s a list of upcoming performances:
- Saturday August 24th w/ Ameranouche @ One Longfellow Square in Portland, ME
- Monday August 26th w/ Sol & Kiel @ Pete’s Candy Store in Brooklyn, NY
- Tuesday August 27th w/ Sol & Kiel @ Rear Gallery in Richmond, VA w/ Haints in the Holler
- Wednesday August 28th w/ Sol & Kiel @ Baine’s in Scottsville, VA
- Thursday August 29th w/ Sol & Kiel @ Tree House Lounge in Washington D.C.
- Saturday August 31st w/ Ameranouche @ the Mill Fudge Factory in Bristol, NH
- Friday September 20th w/ Ameranouche @ Bogart’s Cafe in Millville, NJ
- Saturday September 21st w/ Ameranouche @ Psalm in Philly, PA
- Saturday September 28th w/ Ameranouche @ First Parish Federated Church in South Berwick, ME
- more to come…
Banner photo by Kevin Keegan